Monday, February 12, 2007

Dr Quirky, BSc, PhD, MSc Napoli

Whilst attending a quirky wedding in Dorset last weekend, I took an early evening stroll along the Sidmouth waterfront. Quite without warning I actually entered a moment of history.

There on the stormy horizon lay the slumbering hulk of the MSc Napoli (I didn't realise ships could receive academic honours), a tragic sight that captivated the hearts of the Great British Public this January. Despite its atmospheric, emotional mood, this photo is not by a professional but by my very own hand.



I would be lying if I said I wasn't moved. And a distinct lack of memorial or book of condolence was quite frankly a slap in the face. I hope this publication will serve to fill that gap for the time being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think it's more special that it's not done by a so-called professional but a bona fide citizen photojournalist. This could win awards. Only wish I was there to share the history.