Saturday, November 18, 2006

YouBruv

It started on Tuesday May 23, 2003. 3 years and 6 months later, it ended. I have changed jobs, spawned children, moved house twice. And now, the prize is in my hands. A £50 cheque from YouGov for my faultless participation in 83 online surveys over that time. The system tried to dominate me but it's me who perservered and came through when others fell aside.

It began slowly, just 7 surveys in 2003 at 50p a time. And I despaired at my paltry fund of £4.50 including £1 joining fee. Just 7 again in 2004 had bumped me up to the pointless sum of £12. 2005 was the breakthrough year. 23 surveys including a halycon month in June when I completed 8 surveys in 17 days.

The sudden upturn in my fortunes came about because YouGov launched something called the BrandIndex survey. This involved regularly asking the same monotonous questions about the same brands every bloody time. Had I heard either good or bad about this list of detergents ? What about perfumes ? What about hi-fis? And now what about these food brands? But in between the bread and butter of BrandIndex, there would be the occasional frisson of excitement when the 75p and £1 surveys came in. For the extra cash I'd take my time to be diligent and insightful in my mouse clicks.

I was ruthlessly efficient. You have to be. One friend quit after 3 surveys because he said they took too long. In trying to give his answers he had spent over 20 minutes completing one particularly survey about mortgage providers. Five minutes is the golden rule. Be fast, but be consistent. Practise your mouse navigation skills so you can seamlessly glide through the survey.

Towards that £50 mark the surveys began to dry up and I started to panic. Don't tell me they could play this dirty. Suddenly taking me off the map just because I was close to the moment of payout. But then in one final joyful week - 3 surveys including one 75p beauty pushed me over the line to nirvana.

But now I've made it I don't know what to do. I have to buy something which reflects the sweat and tears I have committed to the cause. Please help.


No comments: